Green & Responsible
Hospitality, at its very core, means love.
Carpe Diem Santorini launched its Green & Responsible Strategy in 2018 and has since taken a holistic approach to sustainability by investing in social and environmental sustainability projects both locally but also around the globe.
Over the years we have supported the work of exemplary organisations such as Doctors of the World Greece and Muscular Dystrophy UK. We are now going a step further; as of 2020 we are climate positive, which means we are offsetting more CO2 than we emit. We have also taken the bold commitment to offset 2 tonnes of CO2 and plant 10 trees for every reservation we receive on our website. Our trees are currently being planted in Madagascar, and this initiative, together with the carbon offset projects we invest in, create many job opportunities for the local communities. We work with several leading NGOs to ensure transparency and real impact for every community and project that we support; all our trees are easily traceable and our carbon offsets are certified by independent auditors.
We are one of the world’s first climate positive hotels and the first one in Santorini
But what does it mean to be climate positive?
Being climate positive (or carbon negative) means that our operations go beyond achieving net zero carbon emissions and actually create an environmental benefit by removing additional carbon dioxide from the atmosphere.
How exactly do we do that?
We achieve this via the following ways:
- We facilitate climate positive bookings. We plant 10 trees for every reservation booked via our website and remove 2 tonnes of CO2 from the atmosphere using carbon offsets and investing in projects around the world that help the climate and fight inequality in developing countries.
- We operate with a climate positive workforce. We offset the emissions of our workforce. We are certified as having a climate positive workforce as we plant 80 trees a year in reforestation projects in Madagascar, for every member of our team. We also buy carbon offsets for all our staff and therefore investing in global sustainability projects worldwide which remove CO2 from the atmosphere.
- We minimise our energy consumption. We use cutting-edge technology to minimise our energy footprint.
- We track, measure and reduce our carbon footprint. We use the best tools on the market to track our CO2 effectively.
Our aim is to plant an entire forest with thousands of trees by the end of 2022 and also remove hundreds of tonnes of CO2 from the atmosphere. Are you with us? Then book your stay using our website! For more information about which projects we are supporting, please do not hesitate to get in touch with us.
AS OF AUGUST 2022, WE HAVE OFFSET 178.94 TONNES OF CO2 AND PLANTED 4,276 TREES
Our holistic social and environmental sustainability plan
- We donate 1% of our direct booking revenue to Doctors of the World Greece, who care for marginalised population with no access to healthcare;
- We are proud supporters of Muscular Dystrophy UK and have helped them raise thousands of pounds towards their important projects;
- In 2020, we became climate positive (also known as carbon negative);
- We are planting 10 trees and also offsetting 2 tonnes of CO2 for each reservation we receive on our website;
- We also offset the carbon emissions of our workforce;
- Carpe Diem Santorini is climate positive; this means that not only are we carbon neutral but are offsetting more emissions than we produce;
- We offset our emissions by funding sustainability projects in developing countries; our initiative offers jobs to local communities and tackles extreme poverty;
- We are gradually phasing out single-use plastics and replacing them with natural alternatives where possible;
- We provide only paper and/or bio-degradable straws while also phasing out several other single-use plastics from our restaurant facilities;
- Our toiletries’ bottles are made entirely of recycled and recyclable PET.
- We take extra care to conserve water and electricity when doing our guests’ laundry.